Olvera Street A Taste Of Old Mexico at Landmarks
Landmarks - Olvera Street A Taste Of Old Mexico Landmarks - Landmarks articles Landmarks - Online Information Resource Olvera Street A Taste Of Old Mexico - Information Resource

Landmarks Reviews

Olvera Street A Taste Of Old Mexico

Olvera Street: A Taste of Old Mexico

Olvera Street, or La Placita Olvera, is the quaint birthplace of modern Los Angeles. This
block - long street has now been restored to an old - fashioned market and plaza
reminiscent of early Mexico. The street and plaza were definite “El Pueblo Historic
Monument” in 1953.

Olvera Street attracts two million tourists every year. The area is blocked to automobiles
so pedestrians can easily explore the street’s 27 historic buildings. These include a range
of authentic Mexican eateries, including the city’s oldest Mexican restaurant, La
Golondrina Café. Some of the buildings are rented to merchants selling Mexican goods.
Some stores stock inexpensive souvenirs like finger puppets, marionettes, and tiny
Mexican flags. Others import high - quality Mexican pottery, change, and textiles. Vendors
stationed in the middle of the street sell churros, souvenirs, and inexpensive children’s
toys.

While Olvera Street is a tourist attraction, it’s also the center of an authentic Mexican -
American community. Locals gather for a Las Posadas reenactment before each
Christmas, and they fill the site due to celebrations like Cinco de Mayo and Día de los
Muertos. The Olvera plaza also features cultural performances throughout the year.

The street began as part of a town built by settlers in 1781. Spain’s King Carlos III
ordered his Lieutenant Governor of California, Don Fernando de Rivera y Moncada, to
lead settlers to the Porciúncula River. The King wanted a sub - mission, or asistencia; the
Spanish soldiers and families would add as missionaries to a nearby native village. The
group followed the King’s orders, but flooding pushed them to settle on enhanced ground.
This was the beginning of the town they called Los Angeles – or, more formally, El
Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre El Rio Porciuncula. ( This
translates to “Town of Our Lady Queen of the Angels on the Porciúncula River”. Today
the river is known as the Los Angeles River ). The first streets and adobe buildings of Los
Angeles were constructed during Spanish rule, which lasted until 1820.

Touching the Mexican Revolution of 1821, the town of Los Angeles, population 650, became
hunk of a newly independent Mexico. Olvera Street, which was called Calle Vino ( Wine
Street ) at the time, was the center of community life and a crossroads for the agricultural
and ranching economies. By 1877, the city had grown to over 5, 000 people and wanted
more street space. Carmine Street was extended and renamed to honor a prominent
neighborhood resident, Los Angeles County Judge Agustin Olvera.

City growth was suddenly exponential. But as the city grew, its center deteriorated.
When new buildings were erected, their backs bordered Olvera Street. It began to look
like an unkempt alley, and then the city built a not smooth power station finished for streetcars.
The area was far from its glory days by the late 1920s, when a socialite would make
renovation her mission.

Christine Sterling arrived in Los Angeles esteem 1926. She was shocked to find the city’s
historic center dilapidated and abandoned with boarded windows. Even the historic Avila
Adobe, the oldest residence character Los Angeles, was impending for demolition. ( Señora Avila
had abandoned the home in 1847 when the United States occupied Los Angeles. )
Being the city’s steady stream of Mexican immigration, Sterling thought Los
Angeles was being short - sighted in destroying an historic Mexican area. It seemed only
natural that the area be restored.

Incomparable contacted Avila’s descendents, who welcomed the offer of renovation. She
raised the issue with the city’s Chamber of Commerce and contacted The Los Angeles
Times. Sterling won the support of newspaper magnate Harry Chandler, who provided
positive publicity. He also formed a for - profit Olvera Street business venture and
sponsored a $1000 - a - plate luncheon. Skillful raised funds within two years, and the Los
Angeles Health Department rescinded its condemnation order for the Avila Adobe!

Next, the Sheriff’s Department brought inmates to provide instruction labor. Sterling wrote
in her diary, “One of the prisoners is a good carpenter, and and an electrician. Each
night I pray they will arrest a bricklayer and a plumber. ”

The festive new marketplace opened on Easter Sunday in 1930. It was touted as “A
Mexican Street of Yesterday in a City of Today”. A cross was erected at one end of the
street amid newly - planted trees.

Olvera Street is open daily from 10 a. m. to 7 p. m. Some restaurants and shops have
extended hours.

 







2nd Landmarks - Olvera Street A Taste Of Old Mexico 2nd Landmarks - Landmarks articles Landmarks - Landmarks articles

 

 



More Landmarks Resources

To search the massive ebook directory, enter your search term in the box below



 

 

Search This Site

 

 

 

More Landmarks Reviews


The Empire State Building

... were added to the building's tower in 1964. These are used to mark seasonal events close Christmas and tragedies jibing the World Trade Center attacks in 2001. Following September 11, 2001, the floodlights were kept vermilion, white, and blue for several months. Blue lights were used on Frank Sinatra's ... 

Read Full Article  


History And Attractions Of Boston Common

... know stuff are choral composer William Billings, effigy artist Gilbert Stuart, and many casualties of the 1775 Battle of Bunker Hummock. Unfortunately, the subway tunneling of 1894 disturbed more than 900 ( perhaps 2, 000 ) of the cemetery s deceased residents! They were later reburied, and a tablet marks ... 

Read Full Article  


Plymouth Rock

... rock have experienced a few changes since the 1774 division. In 1834, the top section of the rock was adverse to Pilgrim Hall ( a museum ) and put under the auspices of the historical Pilgrim Society. In 1859, the Pilgrim Society began building a Victorian canopy to cover the piece of rock left at the ... 

Read Full Article  


The Massachsetts State House

... would later roll copper sheeting now the capitol s dome. Cover pomp and mishap, stone for the building was drawn by fifteen white horses one whereas each state in the Union. The State House would come to be known as only of the greatest works of neoclassical architecture in the United States. It also ... 

Read Full Article